This is for all of us … yes … I know you’re a leet hacker ‘n all, but c’mon, we all have to do this stuff.
So let’s start… right now
- Password re-use. Yep, don’t be that idiot ! Make each password different.
- Change your passwords every 90 days. That’s 4 times a year … Oh and while you’re at it … change your Pin numbers too. When did you last change your debit card pin number ?
- Someone elses Wi-Fi. If you didn’t set it up then don’t connect. There is nothing so critical in the world that means you have to connect insecurely.
- Get a shredder. A good one. Spend your money and get something that you know will keep you safe.
- Use the shredder. You bought it so use it ! then spread the paper about. If you have a pet you now have bedding / litter !
- Sharing is bad. Don’t share. If they take your USB pen drive away, did they recover anything. Your WiFi is yours .. don’t share.
- Challenge if you’re not sure. If your CEO isn’t wearing an iD badge … be nice but challenge people who might be using social engineering techniques.
- Windows Key L or Linux variant. Just remember the old days of meatspin. LOCK IT.
- Work is work. Don’t mix your work email / social media with your home life. Keep your digital identities separate.
- Have iD at all times. Appropriate, current and relevant. Be ready to challenge people who aren’t ready.
- Help your friends. They can be just an easy route back to you so help them be secure.
- Offer a free training course for colleagues on securing themselves. Start the wheels in motion.
- There is never a 13.
- Hack yourself. Yes, that’s right. I recommend looking yourself up to see how much data you are leaking. Then pen test yourself. is your home secure ?
- Alarm and alert. Not just house alarm, house locks, car alarm, immobiliser, alerts for you online – use Google alerts for encrypted versions of your passwords, usernames, addresses.
- Have a business continuity plan for yourself. What would you do if …. ?
Well there you go … let me know in the comments below if you have any others you think should go on the list and we can develop it over time.
Keep Safe !